Please review our 1st newsletter of the year:
Career Conferences: This fall students and alumni have been busy attending and presenting at several conferences. Many of our members had a successful conference at National Black MBA and are continuing to network with the local DC Chapter.
Upcoming Club Event: Halloween Social, Thursday, October 30th at 5:30pm
Black MBA and the Finance Club will be sponsoring the Halloween social. Please join us as we kick of the first week of Term B. Please wear your costume for a chance to win $50 for best costume. Board members from both clubs will serve as judges.
Save the Date: November 14 at 6:30pm
Yearly Alumni and Student Networking Mixer: Mix and mingle with part-time, full-time, Executives MBA students and alums to share your experiences and networking.
Location: DC Restaurant/Bar TBD
Howard University MBA (HUMBA) Program: 19th Annual MBA Exclusive (MBAX) conference.
Two-day conference comprised of opportunities including developmental workshops, Career Fair Exposition with industry-leading companies, and the 10th Annual Minority Case Competition sponsored by LMI. Business students have the opportunity to win up to $11,000 by solving a complex business case, developed by LMI. You can learn more about the Case Competition and conference by going to: http://www.mbaexclusive.com/
FINRA Externship in Rockville, MD. Office of the Ombudsman (Unpaid) – (Job Number: 003651). http://www.finra.org/AboutFINRA/Careers/
Open/Close Dates: The Office of the Ombudsman considers applications on a rolling basis and does not have a strict deadline for applications. Applications will only be considered for the upcoming term.
Job Summary: Ombudsman externs assist staff in reviewing issues raised by firms and their employees, public investors or any business or individual that voices concerns about operations, enforcement or other FINRA activities. Externs perform a variety of tasks including research, analyses and writing, document review, preparation for interviews, contributing to case responses, as well as providing assistance in developing reports to other FINRA business areas.
• Externs in a Legal course of study may be assigned research and analysis focused on securities industry rules and procedures.
• Externs in a Business course of study may be assigned research and analysis focused on historical Ombudsman case trends, as well as current industry practices.
• Externs in a Dispute Resolution course of study may be assigned research and analysis pertaining to cases where Dispute Resolution knowledge is valued.
• Coursework in or knowledge of securities regulation and/or Alternative Dispute Resolution preferred, but not required.
• Securities industry experience is a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to perform detailed analyses is required.
• Must be able to work at least 15 hours per week for Spring term.
National Black MBA Local Chapter:
October General Body Meeting Presented by Arabella Advisors (10/21)
Washington DC Chapter/NBMBAA October 2014 General Body Meeting: Recruiters from Arabella Advisors will be on hand to discuss career opportunities.
Date: Tuesday, October 21/Time: 6:30 – 8:30 pm/Location: Arabella Advisors
1201 Connecticut Ave NW, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20036.